Habitat Management helps in maintaining the diversity of the farm. The habitat thus created will help in the diversity of the farm in terms of trees and further will sustain the different organisms like friendly insects, pest predators, birds, snakes, owls etc. This in turn will keep the farm in a healthy condition.
A proper habitat can be created around the borders of the farm (e.g. Fences) or it can be created in the center of the farm or may be even scattered around the farm depending on the shape and size of the farm.
The following crops are essential for any farm (for a 10 acre farm).
- Neem – 5-6 Trees
- Tamarind – 1-2 Trees
- Ber (Zizyphus mauritiana Lam) – 8-10 Bushes
- Amla/Indian Gooseberry/Anola (Emblica officinalis) – 1-2 Trees
- Moringa/Drumstick – 1-2 Trees
- Wild Bushes – 10-15 Bushes
- Gliricidia – 100-150 Trees